1. What are hair papillae necessary for?
The hair papillae, located at the base of the follicle, houses capillaries for nourishment and are essential to hair growth.
2. What is a benefit of the arrector pili muscle?
Contraction of the arrector pili muscle fiber warms the skin when it creates an air pocket under the upright hairs. It also helps disperse the protective lipids from the sebaceous gland to the skin and hair.
3. What is the difference between lanugo and vellus hair?
Lanugo is soft downy hair found on a fetus and vellus hair is the soft peach fuzz hair found on areas of the face and body not covered with terminal hair.
4. What is the main catalyst for vellus hairs transitioning to terminal hairs?
Hormonal influences, as well as tweezing, shaving, and waxing, especially against the hair growth, can cause vellus hairs to transition to terminal hair.
5. What is the most effective stage for hair removal?
The anagen phase is the most effective stage for hair removal.
6. What makes scalp hair grow longer than eyelashes?
The longer anagen phase of the scalp hair allows it to grow longer than eyelashes, which have a short anagen phase.
7. What disease, disorder, or syndrome most commonly causes hirsutism?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is the most prevalent cause of hirsutism.
8. Between hirsutism and hypertrichosis, which is attributed to genetics and not male androgens?
Excessive hair growth attributed to genetics is called hypertrichosis.
9. What are the main active ingredients in depilatories?
Alkalines such as sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, thioglycolic acid, or calcium thioglycolate are the main ingredients in depilatories.
10. What is another name for threading?
Banding is another name for threading.
11. What is the biggest benefit of cleaning up after hand-applied sugaring?
Hand-applied sugar paste is water soluble, making clean-up easy.
12. What is the minimal length of hair that can be removed with sugaring?
Hair can be removed with sugaring if it is only 1/16 to ⅛ inch (1.5 to 3 millimeters) long.
13. Which modality of electrolysis utilizes direct current?
Galvanic electrolysis uses direct current (DC). The biggest benefit of electrolysis is that it offers permanent hair removal regardless of hair type or skin color.
14. What is a main benefit of electrolysis?
The biggest benefit of electrolysis is that it offers permanent hair removal regardless of hair type or skin color.
15. What is a downside to electrolysis?
Downsides to electrolysis are discomfort, cost, time, cessation of other hair removal methods, and irritation.
16. Name a safety concern for laser/IPL.
Safety concerns for laser/IPL are selecting suitable candidates on the Fitzpatrick and Lancer Ethnicity scale and the use of protective eyewear.
17. What are two benefits to speed waxing?
Speed waxing is more comfortable for the client and the appointment time is shorter.
18. What are two downsides of waxing?
Hair has to grow back in to be waxed. The waxing process can be uncomfortable and can produce irritation or injury to the waxed skin. Regrowth can be irregular.
19. List three important infection control methods.
Wash hands prior to touching clients. Wear gloves for all wax services. Do not double dip the spatula.
20. What is the best way to remove wax from eyelashes?
Apply petroleum jelly to eyelashes and gently stroke downward with a cotton-tip applicator.